How is everyone doing with their food storage? We are almost complete with our 3rd month and I hope you are able to see the benefits of having a full pantry. I was thinking this week about our goal of paper towel, napkins, and toilet paper and it made me think of all the non-food items that we need to store. I found a great list and thought I would share. I am not sure of the origin of this paper so I apologize to the author.
Non-Food Essentials Checklist
- PAPER PRODUCTS (TOILET PAPER, PAPER TOWELS, FACIAL TISSUE,ETC)
- PLASTIC BAGS RANGING FROM FOOD STORAGE SIZE TO TRASH SIZE
- SOAPS AND DETERGENTS (HAND SOAP, DISHWASHER DETERGENT, DISINFECTANT, LAUNDRY POWDER,ETC.)
- TOOTHPASTE AND TOOTHBRUSHES
- FEMININE HYGIENE SUPPLIES
- SHAMPOO, CONDITIONER, LOTION
- BABY DIAPERS AND WIPES
- FLASHLIGHTS AND EXTRA BATTERIES
- PAPER, PENS, PENCILS
- DUCT TAPE, STRING, CORD, ROPE
- ARMY KNIFE
- SUNSCREEN, ALOE VERA
- SIX MONTH SUPPLY OF PRESCRIPTION MEDS AND OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATION
- TOWELS, WASHCLOTHS, CLEANING RAGS
- BLANKETS AND OTHER BEDDING
- BANDAGES OF VARIOUS SIZES AND ANTIBACTERIAL OINTMENT
- FIRST AID SUPPLIES
- CLOTHING (Most of us could go a year without clothing, but make sure each family member has adequate cold weather clothing and sufficient socks and underwear)
- HAND CRANK WHEAT GRINDER
Water for 2 weeks
Basic foods that would keep your family alive if there was nothing else to eat.
A financial reserve.
Additional food items that we are accustomed to eating.
Items for meeting specific and unusual emergency situations.
STORAGE GOALS: MEATS AND FROZEN FOODS. We are in luck this month because there is a lot of meat on sale and also some frozen veggies on sale. Look at your 3 month menu plan and purchase the amount of meat that you will use. Keep in mind freezer space and your budget. Meat will stay good in the freezer for up to 1 year if it is frozen properly. Using a Food Saver machine will help in keeping your meat fresh while in the freezer. It sucks all the air out to lessen the chance of freezer burn. Look over the grocery list as there a few frozen deals.
NON-FOOD GOAL: TOILET PAPER AND PAPER TOWEL. These are 2 items that I personally do not want to be out of. If you don't know how much your family uses try this. For 1 week put all toilet paper tubes in a container and add it up, multiply by 4 to get a rough monthly estimate and then you'll know about how much your family uses. I also want to include napkins in this months goal. I buy our napkins at Big Lots for $1.00 a package.
ENJOY THE JOURNEY!
ENJOY THE BLESSINGS!
FEEL THE PEACE!