Could you, right now, stay in your home for almost a month and have everything required for a normal, every day routine??
Think of all the items you use every day. From fresh foods all the way to toilet paper. Do you have at least 3 weeks worth of food and supplies?
Before A Quarantine....
- Always have at least a month's worth of food in your home. (I highly recommend a three-month supply, but we'll start with 1 month)
- Water storage will also be necessary. Make sure you have a few cases of water on hand.
- Hand sanitizers, lysol, bleach, Clorox wipes, etc. Whatever your choice of cleaner is, store it! I would recommend not using sponges, but have paper towel, or small towels that you can wash in hot water. You don't want to spread germs, you want to kill them. This is also your first line of defense before getting sick! Wash your hands often!
- Have a few simple meals ready to go and store all the ingredients together. If the cook of the family becomes ill, it will be handy to have meals ready to cook, stored all together.
- If your family becomes ill, think of foods that would be comforting, and kind of bland. Crackers, soups, applesauce, jello, pudding, ingredients for smoothies (freeze-dried and dehydrated fruits are great for smoothies), liquids like Gatorade, water, and juice. Remember the BRAT diet: banana, rice, applesauce, toast. (and when I say "ill" I mean a flu or other sickness, not ebola. If you feel you might have ebola or enterovirous please go to the hospital)
- Whatever over-the-counter meds you use should be stockpiled in your home. If you have children, you'll need children's medicine, adults need the adult strength. Think of cold medicine, fever reducing, pain relieving medicine, etc.
- Do you have ice packs, heating pads, or a hot water bottle? They can go a long way in helping someone feel better.