My favorite place to buy applesauce is Costco. Now, I have to let you all know that I am not a Costco shopper because I feel I can get better deals using coupons, case lot sales, and buying in bulk from Honeyville, but this is one item I feel is such a great price that I ask my sister to buy a few (or 15) when she goes shopping. The applesauce comes in #10 cans and is unsweetened, which was the BIG selling point for me. Now, you are probably wondering why I don't have a great photo of this #10 can of applesauce inserted into this paragraph. I am writing this post because we just used up our very last can of applesause and I am stressing out that it is all gone!!! I just moved and my storage has been a mess, so now that I am some what settled, I need to ask my sister to get me applesauce the next time she goes to Costco!!
These are the ways that I use applesauce in my house.
- I use applesauce cup for cup as a substitute for oil in baking.
- When I have sick kids I need applesauce for sick tummies.
- Applesauce makes a great side dish at dinner. We love to eat it with cottage cheese mixed in or with a dash of cinnamon.
- My children love a small container of applesauce in their school lunches.
- Use applesauce for baby food.
- I add applesauce to muffins, smoothies, and quick breads (just a 1/4 C or less) to make the final product moist. If you freeze the applesauce in ice cube trays they can be tossed into smoothies quite easily.
- I dehydrate applesauce to make apple fruit leather.
- In an emergency situation applesauce is a great way to have fruit in your diet.
- I also love to use dehydrated applesauce in my baking and I save the regular applesauce for eating.
Here are some yummy varieties of applesauce that you can bottle at home.