LEARN FROM THE PAST:
- Look up Depression Era cookbooks and find simple recipes that use basic foods, like potatoes and onions, for meals. Click HERE for some ideas.
- What foods grow in your area? Look up the history of your town to find out how farmers or gardeners grew food in your area.
- Learn about cold storage rooms/root cellars and how food was stored without refrigeration. Click HERE for a quick overview of a root cellar.
PREPARE FOR THE FUTURE:
- Every time you go to the store you should be buying extra food and storing it.
- How many long-term grains do you have stored?
- Do you have money in a savings account for a rainy day?
LIVE IN THE PRESENT:
- Be grateful for the life that you have and the many wonderful blessings that occur in your life every day!
- Use the food storage that you do have and rotate through it regularly. Store what you eat....eat what you store!
- Exercise, eat healthy foods and take care of yourself. If we did have an emergency you might have to walk a long distance, lift/carry more than you're used to, dig holes, rebuild/fix your home, manually cook a lot of food (kneading bread for 15 minutes isn't easy), work in a garden/field to grow food, etc. Many things we're not used to physically doing in today's world.