If you look on the right side of the blog I have listed many items for your 72-hour kits. Check it out and compare the list to what you have already. In the last Newsletter handed out in Church everyone who didn't have a container for their kits were to aquire one. If you had a container already then a set of scriptures were to be added to your kit. This week add:
- An extra set of house keys. If you can't find them on a daily basis, it will give you peace of mind to know you have a set of keys in an emergency.
- A can of soup for every person. Progresso soups, and Campbells Soup at Hand are on sale at Albertson's for $1.00 until Tuesday the 29th.
3 Month Supply
- You should have made your menu plan of 1 (or more) weeks worth of meals, and the ingredients should be listed so now all you have to do is go to the store. (Click HERE to review the 3 month supply ideas) and Click HERE to view an example of a menu and ingredient list.
- This week you will need to watch the sales and purchase enough of one item for your 3 month supply. Purchase large amounts only if your budget allows, do what works for you.
- If your budget allows and the items that you use are a really great price, stock up on a few items.
- Don't forget non-food items. Watch for your favorite items to go on sale.
- Every adult needs 100lbs of wheat for a year long storage. Wheat lasts forever(30+ years) if stored properly, #10 cans kept in a cool, dry place.
- Sometime in the month of October find the wheat that works for you and your budget and purchase at least 50lbs.
- I keep my wheat in 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids. I can easily unscrew the lids and get the wheat out. No prying off lids. I also prefer hard white wheat for making bread.
- 2 gallons of water per person
- Extra set of house keys (72- hour kit)
- Can of soup for each person (72-hour kit)
- Find 50lbs of wheat in October
Cooking With Food Storage
Once you have all your wheat, what do you do besides make bread? Here are a few ideas.
Crazy Whole Wheat Muffins (The Essential Food Storage Cookbook)
- We love these and they freeze very well . They are so easy and require all food storage ingredients.
1/2 C Oil
1 C. brown sugar
1 t baking soda
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 t cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375. Mix ingredients together and pour into muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes (8 min. for mini muffins)
Sprouted Wheat (Increases vitamin, mineral and nutritional value of wheat)
- Place 3T of hard wheat in a jar
- Cover with water and let soak 6 hours
- Place nylon or light screen on top of bottle and tighten down with ring
- Pour water off, rinse, and pour off again
- Place bottle in dark warm cupboard on its side
- The wheat should sprout in 2-3 days (rinse and drain each day)
- When small sprout begins to show: rinse, drain, and store in fridge in closed plastic container.
- Wheat sprouts should be harvested before the first leaves are fully developed and the root is only as long as the seed. Otherwise, they will become tough.
::Even if your food storage does not contain a lot of vegetables, the sprouted wheat will give you essential vitamins and minerals. After the wheat is sprouted it is considered a fresh vegetable. When sprouted, wheat also contains vitamins A & C!